I want to admit something that I was debating. I since deleted the Instagram post, but I regret stomping on really good gluten-free bread. I can only advise that we all get angry, but punch and scream at pillows instead of food or anything that can injure.
In happier news, I made a gluten-free gallet today! I used this recipe: https://acleanbake.com/paleo-gluten-free-apple-galette/
- 3-4 large tart apples, sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, plus more for crust
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour, plus more for rolling dough
- 1 grain free pie crust (do not put in pan or pre-bake)
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit into your cookie sheet, or make sure you have a silicone mat that will fit your cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the sliced apples, coconut sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and tapioca flour. Set aside.
- Roll out the prepared pie crust dough into a circle about 10-11″ in diameter on top of the silicone pad or parchment paper. You can use a large dinner plate to guide you.
- Turn the apple filling out of the bowl onto the prepared crust, leaving about a 2″ border of crust . There will be some liquid with the apple filling, but if the mixture is soupy, leave most of the liquid behind in the bowl (discard it).
- Fold a portion of the crust border up over the apples. Then work your way around the edge, folding large sections up and over the apple filling, creasing the excess dough (where one portion of crust meets the last) until all of the dough border has been folded up.
- Prepare your egg wash by whisking together the egg white and milk.
- Brush the exposed dough with egg wash, then sprinkle with additional coconut sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until crust is golden and apples are softened.
- Serve immediately.
However, instead of the lemon juice, I used 1/4 cup of champagne vinaigrette and I used the whole egg for the crust.
We each enjoyed a piece. It actually took about 50 minutes to bake, and I ended up using two pie crusts. Cooking and baking feels so good, it’s a nice release, just like crafting.